Monday, January 4, 2010

puppet show

Kimba's DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land

Thrifty Chick's Before and After Party


Metamorphosis Monday

I was so excited to give the kids the puppet show for Christmas. I saw the idea back in September over at Infarrantly Creative. I couldn't wait to make it happen, but had to survive photo season first, and then find the headboard or bookshelf that would be perfect at the perfect price. 2 weeks before Christmas, (that's right folks, I'm insane) I found the perfect headboard at Goodwill for 1/2 off and committed myself to this project despite the golfer's unease. "Where are we going to put that?" he asked me over and over. I dodged the question. With his question ringing in my ears I reluctantly layed down the big bucks. . . Yeah right, I practically danced to the checkout and nearly hugged the cashier when she told me it would be $4.50! Who cares where we'll put it! I'll put in at the foot of my bed if it sparks any sort of NON-video-game creativity in my kids. The kids were actually with me when I bought it. They thought they were getting a bookshelf. My 6-year-old's reaction was priceless on Christmas morning!

PAIGE: WHAT! WOW! This is so cool!

That's all I wanted folks. . . and a few great puppet shows here and there. . done!

Here is the before:
And the afters:

I added this little hand painted wooden plaque (.99) over the carving of the tree.
We found the curtain rod under our bed during pre-Christmas decluttering. The fabric for the curtain was at Goodwill on 1/2 off day too. $1.25


I already had the sheet metal for the chalkboard/magnet board leftover from my son's board in his room. The chalkboard paint (spraypaint) was $3.25


I already had the white paint and the clear protective coating. The moulding around the chalkboard cost 2.00 at a local salvage yard.



I made little red riding hood and the big bad wolf. The other puppets were from Michaels, from yard sales, white elephant gift at a Christmas party and gifts from a friend. I spent about 15.00 on the puppets that I bought and made. I mod podged the scrapbook paper on the backer board.

The basket was at Goodwill for .75 on 1/2 off day and the liner was made from scrap fabric that I had in my stash.




The grand total came to about $27.75. My budget was $25.00.
They love it. I LOVE it! The golfer LOVES IT, and has commented on the fact several times since Christmas. Mission accomplished.

17 comments:

One Cheap B*tch said...

I love it and my two boys would go simply ga-ga over it too. What a fabulous idea!

Tommie said...

AND I LOVE IT TOO! My little Lucky would LOVE it!! He is always pretending to have a puppet show and I have looked at them before. You smart girly!!

Michelle said...

I am amazed. This is truly awesome!

Connie said...

This is amazing! Job well done.

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

genius. simply genius.

Melissa said...

Amazing! It looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! Job well done! :)

Sam said...

perfection! i am so sure its going to be a #1 toy for a long time and many friday nights there will be a great performance awaiting an audience and some popcorn!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Wow--that is fantastic--really want to try this one!

Janice said...

This is amazing~ my boys would love it! Thanks for sharing your awesome talents and walking us through how you put it together. Thanks for the inspiration!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Perfect in every way. Great job! I love the contrast of the white and black. GORGEOUS...simply UHMAZING.

susan said...

I LOVE this and cannot believe the price! My daughter teaches kindergarten and this would be perfect in her classroom on these cold winter days without recess! This is my first visit here. So nice to "meet" you!

Micaela said...

Kayleen that is awesome!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

awww, great job on the puppet theater! It looks so awesome!
gail

Erica said...

Ok, I'm in love. This is ADORABLE! I'm going to start collecting puppets for my little ones and start looking for our own stage for shows. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

When you are playing a puppet show, you should make sure that your should look as realistic as possible.
puppets for sale
http://www.marionettes-puppets.com/